- MATX 601: Texts and Textuality
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Explores theories of texts and textuality as they relate to the study of media, the arts and discourse of any kind.
- Fall 2018: David Golumbia
Fall 2017: David Golumbia
- MATX 602: History of Media Art & Text
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Examines the history of communication technologies in their social and cultural contexts, with an emphasis on the development of contemporary digital technology and new media. Students will explore how the interactions between communication practices and technologies are related to institutions, identity formation, cultural values, social practices and economic conditions.
- Fall 2018: Richard Fine
Fall 2017: Jennifer Rhee
- MATX 603: Mass Media
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits. Examines the history of mass media and the leading theories, concepts and methods for mass media research.
- Spring 2018: Hong Chen
- Spring 2017: Hong Chen
- MATX 604: Interdisciplinary Workshop
- Semester course; three lecture hours. Three credits Students gain an understanding of current interdisciplinary theory and practice across media, art, and text. Examination of real-world examples provides a foundation for academic and professional careers in today’s interdisciplinary digital environment. Workshopping of students’ preliminary dissertation ideas, conference abstracts, teaching portfolios and professional websites develops content and skills needed for the MATX e-portfolio. Graded as pass/fail.
- Spring 2018: Michael Hall
- Spring 2017: Eric Garberson